Friday, June 19, 2015

Smoke


I had a cigarette for the first time
because a boy asked me to.
If it was any boy, I would’ve
pushed him away and scoffed.
But this was the boy.
“So do you want a drag?”
He had lit up as we walked around at night.
We would take long walks like this occasionally.
As he lit his smoke, the lighter
briefly illuminated his face
obscured by shaggy hair and shadows.
He handed me the cigarette.
I paused, PSA and after-school specials
blaring in my head.
But his eyes
and his eager smile,
I took it, placed it between my lips
and inhaled
I expected coughing, wheezing,
a cloud of smoke spewing from my hacked breaths
But none of that happen, I barely felt anything.
So I took a deeper drag,
letting the smoke linger in my lungs
before letting the cloud go.
The warmth of it felt good and the smile
he gave me as he got closer burned
I would be addicted to them, have nights filled
with gold packs, cheap lighters, trembling fingers from the cold
and the overwhelming emotion.
Take a drag, breathing slows down.
1 cigarette, 3, 5, half a pack
I would also be addicted to him as well,
playing video games until 2am, dropping hints at each other,
any way we could touch each other.
Finally confessions, first kiss, steaming his mother’s car windows,
feeling for each other in the dark, falling asleep in each other’s arms,
crying, ignoring, makeups, makeup sex, bliss, happiness, ignorance,
affection, anger, love, the possibility of a future with him and
one without.

No comments:

Post a Comment